While winter weather seems like it’s already been here for far too long, its effect on our heating bill is just beginning. Achieving low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be a challenge, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to help lower those costs. That’s why we’ve developed a few furnace tips to help keep soaring heating bills at bay.
To start controlling your heating bills and increasing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open throughout the warmest hours of the day to let sunlight in, warming your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks and crevices around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Purchasing a programmable thermostat so that you can better control the temperature in your home, which will also improve energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter regularly.
- Making sure your home’s heating vents are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if your furnace has been around for more than 15 years.
- Adding insulation to your attic to keep heat from escaping.
- Checking your roof to confirm your shingles are intact, and that there are no holes or areas that need to be sealed.
Trying to keep your energy bills low and energy efficiency high, is a year-round battle, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t take a few small steps to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions related to the tips above or questions about how you can reduce your heating bills, give us a call at 519-296-4437. Our experts are here to help ensure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Thedford weather.