On average, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, whether or not you have pets, and how frequently your air filter has been replaced, to name a handful—you may need to have air duct cleaning
more or less frequently. So, how can you tell for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are definitely some significant signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a jam within your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you gaze inside with a flashlight, can you see a collection of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
- Can you hear clatter other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have a smaller amount of airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s most likely time to ask Taylor's Heating & Air Conditioning in Thedford about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a couple things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and prolong the period of time between expert cleanings.
First and foremost, schedule routine HVAC maintenance with the experts at Taylor's Heating & Air Conditioning. A maintenance check of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should comprise of inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system running efficiently, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also talk to the team at Taylor's Heating & Air Conditioning about installing an air purification system. We offer the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other steps you can take include:
- Regularly dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Examining your air filters habitually and replacing them when the manufacturer recommends exchanging them. Most filters will display dust on them after a short time in service, but they may not demand replacement.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that permit dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Replacing poor or impaired air-duct insulation.
With a professional air duct cleaning and some preemptive measures, you can help keep the air in your Thedford home clean and healthy. Give the professionals at Taylor's Heating & Air Conditioning a call at 519-296-4437.