Whether you appreciate winter or prefer the warmer months in Thedford, many of us make adjustments to make sure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a big impact on your monthly bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Check weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your house warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter routinely to see if it must be changed. We suggest at least once every three months, but every household is different, so that can vary.
- Install a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can fix temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to reduce the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—despite your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to look for a replacement heating system. The team at Taylor's Heating & Air Conditioning can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also maintains the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Taylor's Heating & Air Conditioning in Thedford a call to get started. Give us a shout at 519-296-4437 or schedule an appointment with us online.